Frequently Asked Questions
Will I be eligible for a student concession once I enrol?

You will need to apply for a Transport Concession Entitlement Card (TCEC) via the Opal website to prove your eligibility to travel on a concession fare. To see if you're eligible, visit the Transport NSW website.

Are there any resources available to assist students with finding job opportunities after graduation?

Yes, you will have access to the UTS CareerHub to search for available industry internships and work experience opportunities. Students are also encouraged to seek guidance from academics and their professional networks as part of the UTS experience.

Can I defer my studies? How long can I defer my studies for?

Yes, though you can only defer within the same intake year. If you wish to defer your studies to the following year, simply reapply to UTS when you are ready to commence your studies. Students are encouraged to speak with their Student Success Advisor for personalised advice and support.

Are there Commonwealth Supported Places (CSPs) for UTS Online courses?

The UTS Online courses are not Commonwealth supported. However, you may be eligible for the FEE-HELP loan scheme to assist paying tuition fee for your online course.

How many hours should I study per week?

It is recommended that students study a minimum of 15-20 hours per week.

Is full-time study an option?

No, the UTS Online courses are structured so that students study one course per study period, which is considered part-time.

Will I get any breaks from study?

Yes, generally there is a two and a half week break between each study period. You may also be able to take breaks between study periods if needed. However, please keep in mind that study plans and completion times might vary depending on the commencement date, elective choice, leave and subject availability. For more information, please speak with a Student Advisor.

Do I have to attend classes or lectures?

No, the UTS Online courses are delivered 100% online.

Am I eligible for a FEE-HELP study loan to assist with my tuition fees?

FEE-HELP is a government loan scheme assisting Australian Citizens, current or previous Humanitarian visa holder and eligible New Zealand citizen to pay their tuition fees. Students can apply with their tax file number and unique student identifier (USI) during the acceptance and will automatically eligible for FEE-HELP if they have sufficient HELP balance. You will begin to repay a percentage of your loan, which will be determined based on your income and circumstances. Learn more about the FEE HE on the Australian Government Study Assist website .

How is UTS ranked nationally and globally?

UTS is ranked 1st in Australia and 8th globally in the Times Higher Education Young University Rankings 2022, a comprehensive system designed for universities under 50 with indicators linked to industry innovation as well as academic excellence. UTS was awarded FIVE STARS for excellence in higher education by QS™, including five stars for employability, engagement, facilities, innovation and internationalisation. UTS is ranked 143rd university by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, and 133rd in the QS World University Rankings.

How do I connect with other students in my course?

You will have many opportunities to collaborate and interact with other students while studying online. There are 3-5 zoom sessions per week for each subject to replicate the on-campus tutorials. You will also be part of an interactive student discussion board where students collaborate with the course academic and peers, sharing course- and industry-related ideas. UTS also offers various social clubs that all students are welcome to join.

Do I need to provide evidence of my English language proficiency?

Yes, all applicants are required to meet the University’s English language requirements by completion of one of the following:

  • an assessable qualification undertaken in English in one of the listed countries
  • an assessable course taught in English (senior secondary studies comparable with the NSW HSC; one full year of Australian or comparable tertiary studies, Australian or comparable non-award studies; tertiary preparation courses)
  • an English Language test:
    • Academic IELTS: 6.5 overall with a writing score of 6.0; or
    • TOEFL: paper-based: 550—583 overall with TWE of 4.5; or
    • Internet based: 79—93 overall with a writing score of 21; or
    • AE5: Pass; or
    • PTE: 58—64; or
    • CAE: 176—184.
Note that some courses have additional English language requirements.
If you do not meet the English language requirements and have a combined 5 years of education and/or work in one of the listed English speaking countries, you must submit a personal statement in your application for consideration. For courses with higher English language requirements, applicants will need to meet English language requirements the traditional way.
For more information on the UTS English language requirements, see the website .
Can I study a master's course if I haven't completed a bachelor's degree?

In some cases, applicants might be eligible for admission to the Graduate Certificate based on relevant work experience, which may articulate into the master's upon completion. However, each course has its own entry requirements. Please view the relevant course page for entry requirements or speak with a Student Enrolment Advisor to discuss your options.